Translate

Monday 31 March 2014

Traditional English Mint Sauce.


This is the last post of things I made while still at Ladysmock Cottage and was made in mid March just before leaving.
All the herbs were starting to grow again after the winter and mint was plentiful.
This recipe is almost exactly the same as the one passed down to me from my mother, who taught me in the seventies to make mint sauce - the only difference being I now use white wine or cider vinegar rather than malt.
I have toyed with the idea of changing the name of the blog now i have no connection at all with Ladysmock, but until I think of a better name will continue with the existing one!

First remove most of the stalks from the mint and place on a chopping board. sprinkle with a tea spoon or two of sugar.
Holding a knife in with the fingertips of both hands chop the mint until it is very fine - you end up with a mush as the sugar gets chopped into it.


Transfer to a small bowl or ramekin and just cover with boiling water.
Leave to infuse and cool then add white wine or cider vinegar (or malt if you prefer) to the desired consistency.
It will keep for weeks, if not months in sterilised jars.


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE home-made mint sauce and as ever, you have described this recipe so well and I LOVE the photos! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Karen - home made mint sauce is one of my favorites too, as is lamb - the sound of a knife chopping on a sunday late morning was music to my ears as I knew my mother was making mint sauce and it would be lamb for lunch.

      Delete